History of the Anton Proksch Institute

60 Years of Addiction Treatment

1956 The charitable foundation Genesungsheim Kalksburg was founded under the patronage of the then Minister of Social Affairs Anton Proksch and at the initiative of Prof. Hans Hoff and Dr. Emil Tuchmann. A team of 19, including two doctors and four nurses cared for 65, mostly male, patients.
1972 A 15-bed long-term treatment unit for drug addicts was opened at Breitenfurterstraße 517.
1975 After the death of Anton Proksch the institute was renamed Anton Proksch Institute.

Expansion

1976 Dr. Rudolf Mader succeeded Prof. Cornelius Kryspin-Exner as head of the Anton Proksch Institute.

1981 The number of beds was increased to 160, a half-way house with 10 beds was opened for alcoholics.
In the years that followed, the facility was enlarged, adapted and new buildings were constructed; the number of beds was increased to the current 276.

2004 Prof. Michael Musalek became the head of the Anton Proksch Institute following the retirement of Prof. Rudolf Mader.

The Present Day

2013 The acquisition of a controlling interest by VAMED marked the beginning of a new era for the Anton Proksch Institute in Kalksburg. VAMED holds a 60 percent interest and the Stiftung Anton Proksch Institut Wien a 40 percent interest in the API Betriebs gemeinnützige GmbH.